Sunday, October 28, 2007

baby steps

"Fear of making mistakes can itself become a huge mistake, one that prevents you from living, for life is risky and anything less is already loss." -Rebecca Solnit


The more I know, the more I know I don't. It's always that way, but I'm reminded more often these days as I struggle to put together this puzzle...Portuguese. Ch and Sh and Dz and Oo and Ow and nasal sounds I can't make unless I've got ocean water up my sinuses. Sounds like something I've heard before, sounds like a song, sounds like nothing, are they really saying something? Who am I when I can't say who I am? Slower, please. I'm...learning. "Don't be afraid to make mistakes" is the advice I give my English learners on the first day of class. "Don't be afraid to make mistakes" I tell myself now. We have to let ourselves attempt new ways of being and seeing the world; we have to make mistakes. We have to learn somehow.

Cael is the incredible edible one year old little boy I'm fortunate to live with. He's also my learning buddy. He's learning English, Portuguese and baby sign language right now. I'm only learning one new language. I think we both understand a lot more than we can speak. Together we're taking baby steps...












3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning Becky. The sun is coming up on Barry Road, while I am sure it is already beach weather in Rio. Tonight is Halloween. We are carving jack-O-lanterns, gathering candy, and preparing to play the scary haunted house sounds. Wish you were here! I found your red wig to wear to school today.....See you soon for a Brazilian New Year! Love, Dad

Dos Ranitas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dos Ranitas said...

Hola!!! Becky!!! I really feel about what you are saying about learning a new language!!!! Cause I've felt it when I speak English. It takes time but you'll get it in your own pace. Enjoy taking baby steps=) You'll always find yourself missing the struggling days afterwards=p -Ruiko