Wednesday, November 21, 2007

giving thanks

Mostly I'm psyched to be here in Brazil on this sunny coastline, but I have to admit I get a little homesick thinking of Thanksgiving at home. I think of my mom's festive table decorations and endless crock pot of apple cider and of my dad carving the turkey after tending to it on the BBQ all day. I think of three generations of women playing scrabble like we always do and of uncle Bill tugging on Jill's arm while she tries to relax in peace. I think of the Phelans and the Mickelsons and the Cellos and the Monagles and all the family friends that have warmed up our house for the holiday. I give thanks for all of you wonderful people!!

Instead of feeling sorry for ourselves while the rest of you gorge on stuffing and togetherness, we (a small group of Americans in Rio) decided to do our own Thanksgiving. Liana and I and her friend Joe from Minnesota are the turkeys who volunteered to cook for 11 people on Friday night and call it a holiday. We picked up a big ol' bird that we'll start brining tonight (a term I just learned this evening), then we just need to figure out how to cook it. Any ideas? Dad?? ;)
It should be fun having a bunch of people over to the apartment...even if we can't make it chilly we can at least make it cozy. Hopefully we won't screw it up too badly and turn the Brazilians in the group off to Thanksgiving. Otherwise, it's just one long hot stretch til Christmas.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

We were thinking of you on Thanksgiving as well. We miss your papa's turkeys lots!

Patchizinho said...

Dude, nice Phelans shout-out!!!

I will remind myself to be thankful when I am bummed that you AND Jilly (AND Mike?) are not around for Xmas.

MIL said...

Such beautiful memories and many more to come. The Mickelsons are grateful to your family each and every single day. Yes, there is nothing like sitting around the table with your family who makes everyone feel loved. Can't wait for your parents to return from their trip to Brazil to share stories and pictures. Love to you for Christmas! Lv, Ruth

MIL said...

We are excited to read your postings about Christmas adventures with your family. Lv, Ruth